Forum

Notifications
Clear all

PEI buildplate

Rabulist
(@rabulist)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

is it possible to install the magnetic PEI buildplate in a way, so that you can change back and forth between PEI and the default glass bed?

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Eli liu
(@eli-liu)
Reputable Member Registered

Posted by: @rabulist

is it possible to install the magnetic PEI buildplate in a way, so that you can change back and forth between PEI and the default glass bed?

the point is magnetic PEI has to work with magnetic attachment. Either you take out the tempered glass and stick the magnetic base on the aluminum plate or directly on the glass.

ReplyQuote
Rabulist
(@rabulist)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@eli-liu but both ways will lead to the glass-bed not fitting into the clamps of the printer any more. Or am I missing something?

ReplyQuote
Eli liu
(@eli-liu)
Reputable Member Registered

@rabulist you are right, it's hard to do so unless you buy a same-size plastic plate (about 2mm thickness) and use it for PEI, keep the glass aside. 

ReplyQuote
Rabulist
(@rabulist)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@eli-liu that's really unfortunate. Guess I'll be using some clips to fix the PEI buildplate then...wasted money for the magnet ?

ReplyQuote
vorchak
(@vorchak)
New Member Registered

I think it would be possible if you are willing to adjust the clamps a little or completely forgo of them. I would use a 3M adhesive to stick a steel plate to the glass. Then voila you would have to build surfaces that adhere magnetically to the base. No clamps needed.

Rabulist liked
ReplyQuote
Rabulist
(@rabulist)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@vorchak

LOL...I really wonder, why I didn't got that idea myself ? Thank you man...now I just have to find a fitting steelplate...but I guess, there are several onlineshops that sell them by measures.

vorchak liked
ReplyQuote
vorchak
(@vorchak)
New Member Registered

@rabulist It shouldn't be too difficult to find a suitable steelplate. BTW, just for reference the exact size you would be looking for is 255mmx245mm of spring steel

ReplyQuote
antonioasaro
(@antonioasaro)
New Member Registered

Sorry guys, I'm not clear what's being proposed here ...

• "buy a same-size plastic plate (about 2mm thickness) and use it for PEI
  • "a 3M adhesive to stick a steel plate to the glass"

I ordered the add-on too. It has ...

1. A magnetic flexible plate and a PEI sheet - see diagram above
  2. The magnetic flexible plate has a 3M adhesive on it (nominally, to stick it onto the heating bed which, I'd rather not do)

I believe the suggestion is to buy a "2mm thickness"x"255mmx245mm of spring steel", stick the magnetic flexible plate to the spring steel and then attach the PEI sheet to the magnetic flexible plate. With that combo (3 layers), you have a direct replacement for the glass bed. Is that correct? If so, any luck finding a spring steel plate? If not, can you please explain the proposal one more time?

Thanks!!

This post was modified 9 months ago 4 times by antonioasaro

ReplyQuote
Footleg
(@footleg)
New Member Registered

I puzzled over this problem too, but I have come up with a solution which works very well for me.

I bought a cheap 255 x 255 mm glass build plate. The frame on the CR-6 SE is wide enough to take this. You can stick the 3M adhesive magnetic pad onto this plate with the 245 mm dimension aligned front to back (so the 255 mm dimension goes across the full width of this plate). This leaves 5mm at the front and back of the glass plate clear of the magnetic pad, so it fits into the clips and clamps without the magnetic pad getting in the way. The PEI sheet now sticks to the magnetic pad and is raised clear of the rear clips (place it up against the front bed clamps, not over them). So the PEI build surface is perfectly flat.

Now you can easily swap between the original Carborundum glass plate and flexible steel PEI bed as needed.

This post was modified 8 months ago by Footleg

ReplyQuote
Laerun
(@laerun)
New Member Registered

@footleg

Hey, any chance you could share a link to the glass plate you purchased? Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Footleg
(@footleg)
New Member Registered

Sure, the plate I bought was from Ali Express. If you are new to ordering there, use this link to sign up and you get $24 worth of coupons:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msHOmH7

Once signed (or if you are already a member) then use this link to find the plate I ordered:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002007210818.html

There are several sizes in that listing, so pick the 255 x 255 mm option.

ReplyQuote
stevebott123
(@stevebott123)
New Member Registered

@footleg did you need to increase the temperature of your prints because of the extra layers ?

Matthew liked
ReplyQuote