Clear all

CR-6 SE Extruder Upgrade

Page 1 / 2

Link
 Link
(@link)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

I was having an extrusion nightmare up until recently.  Turns out the extruder was failing.  The teeth had worn down enough to create an under-extrusion issue.  Lots of slicer setting changes and test prints until I figured it out.  Replaced the stock extruder with an all metal Creality one.  Just wanted to share this with you guys.  I HIGHLY recommend doing this when you have some free time.  Much easier to load filament and 100% better than the stock one.  

ReplyQuote
Wasp056
(@wasp056)
Eminent Member Registered

Posted by: @link

I was having an extrusion nightmare up until recently.  Turns out the extruder was failing.  The teeth had worn down enough to create an under-extrusion issue.  Lots of slicer setting changes and test prints until I figured it out.  Replaced the stock extruder with an all metal Creality one.  Just wanted to share this with you guys.  I HIGHLY recommend doing this when you have some free time.  Much easier to load filament and 100% better than the stock one.  

Yes, this seems quite a common problem if you print quite a bit from your CR6. Happened to me could not understand why i was getting poor quality prints with classic under extrusion issue, (Gaps in printing, ability to peel away layers, missing plastic etc etc.

Went through loads of 'Tuning in' steps, e-steps, PID, Splicer retraction, Temperature calibration......All would not cure my extrusion problems.

Simply can't be the extruder, after all the printer is only 4 months old, and my Ender Pro3 is still grinding out print after print...

BANG it hit me, so what was the difference tween ender3 and CR6? I changed the extruder on the ender3 and not on the CR6....Hmmmmmm Cheap Chinese parts! But the extruder on the CR6 is a nightmare to take apart and with it being enclosed impossible to see what's going on with the gears and idler wheel, Bite the bullet and lets have a look....

OMG what a mess in there HUGE wear on the cheap gear wheel....This is it my problem, poor componants in the default extruder leading to slippage leading to under extrusion leading to POOR prints, leading to headache and lots of shouting.

Resolution...... Do what @link did and put a quality METAL Extruder in the crap default one, better still get a Dual Gear METAL one, about £15-£20 on Amazon.co.uk or go for one of these, which i did.......(Click Link below)

EZR Extruder

Yes more expensive than the ones on Amazon, but has glowing reports, can do the ultra flexible TPU (NinjaFlex),

Cons: in USA so postage was a bind

Pro's: Best Extruder i have ever had on any printer. Intend to change over my Ender3 pro very soon.

So if you are struggling with under extrusion CHECK YOUR EXTRUDER, but beware it is a nightmare to put it back together and loads of patience required.

ReplyQuote
BHS Rob
(@bhs-rob)
Active Member Registered

Thanks @Wasp056 for the post. I have had issues as well with my extruder and like you took it apart.  What a royal pain to get it back together.  Mine is working kinda.  Just a pain to get it threaded each time I change filament so I ordered the EZR Extruder as well. Did you have any problems fitting it to the CR-6SE?

ReplyQuote
ogkw87
(@ogkw87)
Active Member Registered

did either of you guys have an estep issue when changing your extruder. my extruder ate it like yours did badly, but after I swapped in the creality all metal one, I checked my extrusion and after setting 100mm it extruded 96 exactly. I currently cant find any way of changing the esteps on the cr-6se so Im wondering if you guys had the same issue or the solution.

ReplyQuote
Link
 Link
(@link)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@ogkw87 I didn't have any estep issues.  I personally haven't delved into calibrating esteps with the CR6SE.  Maybe someone else can weigh in...

ReplyQuote
BHS Rob
(@bhs-rob)
Active Member Registered

I used OctoPrint on a Raspberry PI and was able to dial my EZR extruder to exactly 100 mm. Just watch the calibration videos from Teaching tech on YouTube. He explains how to do it. I by the way really really like the EZR.  It is so much easier to load and has reduced stringing.  Plus the concave gear design grips the filament so much better retraction is improved.

ReplyQuote
ogkw87
(@ogkw87)
Active Member Registered

Update, I found that a number of issues were screwing me. The Capricorn tube was too tight with the stock bowden tube length, i was having severe heat creep with the fans at 100%, so I purchased a bimetal heat brake which solved the issue.

Ran a test print today and still under extruding so I'm going to try to put a gcode in my starting code for prints in cura and see what happens

ReplyQuote
Christ49Fr
(@christ49fr)

Posted by: @link

Hello,
Do I need a specific model for the CR-6 SE?
I have a problem the filament does not advance, is it this problem?
and my CR-6 Received barely 1 month
Thank you for your answers

Ender 3 Pro
CR-6 SE
LD-002H + UW-01

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Prominent Member Admin

@wasp056 I was kind of love the plastics cover design on CR-6SE and CR-Smart. Because I thought it will look much cleaner than before. BUT! can not seeing the filament scraps do not mean they do not exist! 

Your experience gave me a lesson, the issues are often hidden in places we overlook.

ReplyQuote
Gypaete
(@gypaete)
Active Member Registered

Hi @Link,

I would also like to upgrade my extruder!.....

My supplier offers me an all metal extruder from Creality that looks like your picture, but can't certify the compatibility with the CR-6-SE because Creality doesn't give them any answers about it.

Did you have any problems mounting it in place of the original extruder?
Are the mounting holes and axle spacers the same?
Could you take more pictures around the extruder and the filament sensor to see the alignment of the filament between the two elements?

Thanks in advance

Sorry for the language, I use an internet translator!

ReplyQuote
Christ49Fr
(@christ49fr)

Hello,

Yes me too I would like to have more information please

Ender 3 Pro
CR-6 SE
LD-002H + UW-01

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Prominent Member Admin

@gypaete The mounting holes and axle spacers look the same to me.

ReplyQuote
Christ49Fr
(@christ49fr)

Remercier,

it's not clear to change the extruder

This post was modified 2 months ago by Christ49Fr

Ender 3 Pro
CR-6 SE
LD-002H + UW-01

ReplyQuote
capn stretch
(@capn-stretch)
New Member Registered

@Link I have successfully Installed the an Original Bondtech BMG on the CR6SE! It would like a dream.Just remember E415 in your steps.

Now we need to find a hot end that works like a dream....

ReplyQuote
thommygay24
(@thommygay24)
New Member Registered

I received my original creality metal extruder upgrade and can tell all who are interested, that a 1:1 change is possible without any problems

kevin liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2