Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Filament detector not stopping printhead?!?

staffert
(@staffert)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

I have a brand new CR10s Pro V2 that prints fantastically well, I am using Octoprint 0.18 on a RaPi 4B and everything went well until the filament ran out....\

The sensor light went off (this is good) but the printer kept printing away with no filament.....by the time I noticed, it had advanced about 10 layers. I scrapped the print, but would like to know what is the point of the sensor if it doesn't do anything?

Has anyone else had this issue?

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Eli liu
(@eli-liu)
Reputable Member Registered

@staffert Hope this post would help you in the future.

https://forums.creality3dofficial.com/save-print-from-airprinting/

It is mainly because the firmware did not turn on the runout sensor option. The light will on/off since it is a limit switch and powered. But the signal is not recognized by the board. 1. Find the firmware with the sensor option on or mod the source code. 

staffert liked
ReplyQuote
staffert
(@staffert)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks.

"Air printing", Iearned something today.....<<sigh>>

OK, but my issue is with Creality and the firmware. I have a NOOB printer with v 1.70.0 firmware, factory issued on a CR-10s Pro V2......This should be working, as it is an advertised feature of the machine. ☹️ ☹️ 

I haven't coded in decades ? , but am willing to go there if need be. (not sure why someone else hasn't had this issue yet)

So where do I get the source code for the firmware from Creality (that is up to date) with the firmware file I have? The one posted on their support website is old v1.6xxx.

This post was modified 8 months ago by staffert

ReplyQuote
Eli liu
(@eli-liu)

@staffert Or maybe the sensor is simply faulty. You can ask the seller for more detail and require a replacement part. If the sensor is with the printer by default, it should work as expected. I thought the sensor was an add-on item.

ReplyQuote
staffert
(@staffert)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

All the CR10S Pro models come with filament runout sensors, but apparently the feature isn't implemented in software.

@eli-liu the sensor is working fine, besides you just told me in the previous post that it wasn't implemented in the firmware!!

I'm not sure how you expect the reseller to be responsible for parts that are working, but software that isn't.

All I want is access to the Marlin source code that was used for the v. 1.70.0 firmware so I (or someone else in the community) can attempt to fix what should have been working right out of the box.

ReplyQuote
Eli liu
(@eli-liu)

@staffert If all the CR10S Pro models come with filament runout sensors, the filament detecting feature must be implemented in software.

The sensor works fine or not is not due to the light on/off, if there is no material in the sensor when printing, the screen should show a warning, otherwise, there would be a problem in the sensor, cable, or firmware.

The problem is that Creality hasn't posted the source code for this printer as I know. 

ReplyQuote
staffert
(@staffert)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@eli-liu

You would think that, yes, there is a sensor and it should do something when it senses....but that assumes the software is working.

I have seen MANY reports online of the same issue from people much more informed than me about firmware details and they believe Creality did not implement the sensor code correctly (among other things) and that it needs to be fixed. Just ask the TeachingTech guy from YouTube or the guys from Tiny machines.

Do you agree that the hardware filament sensor should stop/pause printing no matter how you print either from SD or USB connection? Correct?

If the sensor is plugged in and the light is working, then it should have stopped my RaPi4 board from continuing to send gcode and "air printing" my parts when the filament ran out. That is assuming the software reads the sensor. Am I correct?

BTW, as the forum admin, do you not work for Creality?

ReplyQuote
Eli liu
(@eli-liu)

@staffert   I went to the lab and checked one 10spro v2, and the sensor worked. (see the attachment)

If the sensor is plugged in and the light is working, then it should have stopped my RaPi4 board from continuing to send gcode and "air printing" my parts when the filament ran out. That is assuming the software reads the sensor. Am I correct?

I'm not sure about this as I haven't tested it. How about you printer a file via an sd card without all the other board and see if the sensor works or not.

This forum is as support for Crealtiy Official Store, which is a sale site. My role is like tech support to help users use printer correctly. I provide everything(files) Creality gives me.

ReplyQuote
staffert
(@staffert)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

what version of the firmware do you have?

Send me a copy of the exact file.

ReplyQuote
Eli liu
(@eli-liu)

@staffert it uses the default firmware.

CR-10S Pro V2

Marlin 1.1.6-V1.70.0

https://forums.creality3dofficial.com/download/cr-series/cr-10s-pro-v2/

ReplyQuote
staffert
(@staffert)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

OK, I'll re-flash the machine (again)  with the above firmware and do a test by sending a print job via SD and USB to see if it happens again when I cut the filament.

I will document everything and post it back to this forum.

It is possible it was a glitch either in the firmware or the gcode from my print job or sun spots....but if I prove that it doesn't work, then I'll need some support to get it working from you.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
obiwan007
(@obiwan007)
New Member Registered

If you are printing via OctoPrint the printer must send some kind of annoucement code to OctoPrint.
It seems that this feature is not implemented/activated int the stock firmware. I'm annoyed about that too because I'm always printing via OctoPrint as I like to do Octolapse videos...

No idea on how to activate that feature. 

ReplyQuote
staffert
(@staffert)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@obiwan007

Apparently it is due to the non-standard waybin which the filament sensor is reported back to the console. Much like the double characters injected into the temperature reporting "== TT" by Creality, Octoprint can't run specific decodes for every manufacturer's machine.

It's really a shame that such a.popular brand not take a lead role in helping to create and adhere to common standards, or RELEASE THE SOURCE CODE to their latest firmware. This is why TinyMachines 3D is probably a better route for firmware and support.

I may have to go that route after my filament runout tests that I'm about to perform.

ReplyQuote
staffert
(@staffert)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Update:

Now running third-party TM3D firmware 2.0.5.

Work MUCH better than stock firmware, and actually stops a print from the SD card when the filament runs out. Still testing, will post updates here.

BTW, now the cheap pneumatic connectors that Creality ships have both failed and my bowden tube keeps popping out......but this will be for another post.

ReplyQuote