Filament Sensor Mic...

Notifications
Clear all

Filament Sensor Microswitch Upgrade

Gyzmo1012
(@gyzmo1012)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

I recently upgraded the filament runout sensor microswitch and housing from the unit supplied with the CR10s, which was faulty due to use, to the unit for the CR-10S PRO 3D Printer (which I sourced from AliExpress, link below for reference) - This unit is housed in a red anodised aluminium block.  I mounted the new sensor with a bracket I fabricated so that it is positioned similar to the original sensor.

I have found that when I plugged the new sensor to the main board the blue LED lights up when filament is passed through the sensor.  However when I try to print, the printer keeps ejecting the filament and requests to reload filament.

The pin configuration to both the old and new sensor boards are the same...

Has anyone here undertaken a similar upgrade, and if so encountered the same problem?
What did you do to rectify?

Photo provided for reference - New microswitch board on right...

ReplyQuote
Eli liu
(@eli-liu)
Reputable Member Customer

I have found that when I plugged the new sensor to the main board the blue LED lights up when filament is passed through the sensor.  However when I try to print, the printer keeps ejecting the filament and requests to reload filament.

Does it mean that you can keep printing without any filament in the sensor? It seems like misplaced wires. 

ReplyQuote
Gyzmo1012
(@gyzmo1012)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@eli-liu

It is not ,misplaced wires.  I have traced both circuits the Yellow Sense wire connected to the original filament sensor reads 0 volts when the filament is detected and on the new sensor it reads 5 volts.  When compared with the old sensor the Blue LED is connected opposite polarity to the new sensor.

See attached diagram.

I am guessing I will need to edit the firmware to fix, but I am new to 3D printing and have never done any programming...

ReplyQuote
foggydaze
(@foggydaze)
New Member Registered

@gyzmo1012

Did you ever figure out how to get the cr-10s pro runout microswitch to work on the cr-10s?

I replaced the mounting plate for my cr-10s with a cr-10s pro to use the newer runout sensor. I also installed a dual gear extruder which lined the filament hole up with the cr-10s pro runout sensor. The original extruder is was too low.

Anyways, I got everything set up and went to test a print. Just like you the print was paused asking me to change the filament.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by foggydaze

ReplyQuote
foggydaze
(@foggydaze)
New Member Registered

So after researching a ton, I got the pro filament sensor to work on the CR10S.

You'll need to upgrade the firmware and invert the filament sensor signal.

On my Win10 PC, I downloaded the TH3D Unified 2 firmware, modified the firmware code using VSCode with PlatformIO and Python, compiled the firmware and uploaded it to the printer.

#define FIL_RUNOUT_STATE LOW

I'm using a back panel plate for a CR10S Pro, CR10S Pro filament runout sensor, and a dual gear extruder. The dual gear extruder is cheaper on aliexpress but the one from Amazon is the one I bought since I needed it and didn't want to wait. You'll need this extruder since the filament sensor sits higher on the back plate. The filament won't line up with the stock extruder. Also, this extruder does not have the washer bearing like on the updated dual gear extruders.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Honorable Member Admin

@foggydaze It is too complicated.

ReplyQuote
Scroll Up