Extruder Nozzle Int...

Notifications
Clear all

Extruder Nozzle Into the Print

tskgpage
(@tskgpage)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi, on my CR-10 S4 I’ve been printing for a while. My bed leveling is good and I have good adhesion. but lately I've had a problem with the extruder nozzle digging itself into the prints as the prints get higher.  I tried to print a Kaleidoscope a few times but it failed.  I checked everything out, cleaned the bed, and reprinted the Calibration Cube and all went well, so I decided to print a Smart Temperature Tower and followed the directions regarding the temperature change for each level in the gcode. When it reached near the top of the 5th layer, the same thing happened.  The nozzle dug into the print and pulled the print from the bed. At this point, I'm not sure what is going on. Any help would be most grateful.

I attached a photo for reference.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@tskgpage Is your nozzle digging itself into the prints at the same height every time? I recommend you try some other models to test this problem. 

ReplyQuote
tskgpage
(@tskgpage)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin Hi Kevin, it hasn't happened at this height before as most of my prints are smaller except for the Kaleidoscope.  That is about half the height. 

I did some checking on YouTube after my initial post and I'm wondering if I'm having excess filament ooze out the nozzle and bind up into the print and which caused the failure.  If I understood what I saw and read, I'm going to print a retraction tower, check my settings and see if I have excess filament coming out.  If I do, I’ll adjust and redo the Smart Temperature Tower.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@tskgpage Very clear logic. Good luck! ? 

ReplyQuote
tskgpage
(@tskgpage)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin the excess filament seemed to be the problem and I also leaned a valuable lesson, clean your printing bed.  That helps with proper adhesion too as I tried to print a few times after I fixed my excess filament but after a few layers, I saw curling and I realized you can't have Elmer's glue and Magigoo in same spot.  Once cleaned and using only one adhesive, all is well.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@tskgpage Well, interesting found.  But I do not like to use any glue as I prefer a clean hotbed. ? 

ReplyQuote
tskgpage
(@tskgpage)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin.  I have a glass bed and I couldn't get anything to stick to it so I tried the alternatives and Magigoo worked the best.  I just learned the hard way and out of frustration, don't use both at the same time.  Have a clear head and rethink the process.  

ReplyQuote