CR-5 Pro / Screen F...

Notifications
Clear all

CR-5 Pro / Screen Freezing; Not Printing; Freezing After Print

americanmcgee
(@americanmcgee)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

I just took delivery of a new CR-5 Pro (USA version) here in Shanghai, China; purchased directly from the Creality Tmall Shop. It's a nice-looking machine and produces nice prints but takes a LOT of restarts to get any prints done. 

The printer "freezes" a lot. The screen stops responding in these cases:

1) When I manually adjust the bed/nozzle temp and then try to start a print

2) When I try to start a print without using the auto adjust bed/nozzle temp

3) After every successful print

When it freezes, I must turn the power completely off and remove the SD card then wait... after 1 minute, turn the machine back on, then try again. It can freeze many times before it will print... so LOTS of wasted time. 

Once it actually starts printing, it is OK. But then it freezes again when the print is finished!

I read some reviews and it seems these are known issues. But I cannot find any Firmware version higher than what is already installed on the machine "September 2020. CR-5 Pro. V0.11"

Please tell me there is a solution to these problems that can be applied ASAP. Or I will be forced to return this printer via Tmall. 

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Honorable Member Admin

@americanmcgee It is possible that the screen screws are fixed too tightly. If you can find them, please loosen them.

If it still doesn't work, reflash the firmware to see if it works.

ReplyQuote
americanmcgee
(@americanmcgee)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin I flashed the machine and I removed the screen from the case entirely. It cannot be too tight if it is not even attached to the machine. The behavior remains the same - in fact, since my original post, the situation has got much worse. 

Now, no matter what I do, I cannot get the machine to print. It goes through the heat-up cycle, then,  when that is complete, the print head moves a bit, then it freezes. If the LED case lights are on, they shut off. That's it. End of cycle. Power-off. Try again. At first, if I tried enough times, I could get it to print. Not now. 

It's simply broken. 

I've talked with Creality Tmall support here in China and they are sending a new motherboard and screen. Guess we'll see if that fixes it. 

Really disappointing that a machine like this is dead after only 4 test prints. For the money, the expectation is that it would arrive in working condition and go for a while (more than a day) before it died. 

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Honorable Member Admin

@americanmcgee Thanks for the update, then looks like the mainboard has broken. To be honest, CR 5 pro is not a popular choice, most of the time I buy mainstream machines that are more consistent in quality.

ReplyQuote
americanmcgee
(@americanmcgee)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin Can you let me know what "mainstream" machines you suggest?

I will return the CR-5 Pro and ask for a different machine to be sent. Would like to get something that can handle PLA, ABS for prototyping of items for our workshop (we make toys, jewelry, etc). I think that means something with an enclosure, heated bed, metal frame, etc. I do not care about auto-leveling if it has a glass bed and that bed is not warped. 

Appreciate any advice you might have. Thanks. 

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Honorable Member Admin

@americanmcgee

I personally recommend Ender 5, this printer has very large user base. 

For ABS printing, you could add a 3D Printer Enclosure for heat preservation.

https://www.creality3dofficial.com/collections/top-sell/products/3d-printer-enclosure-safe-quick-and-easy-installation

If you requires a larger print size, Ender 5 plus will be a good choice.

ReplyQuote
Scroll Up