Notifications
Clear all

Communication timeout while printing

bulgaro80
Registered
Topic starter
(@bulgaro80)

Hi,

I'm experiencing an issue when I print objects with long straight lines (at least it's my feeling). I printed small objects without problems.

Printing big objects with long straight lines I got several stop of the printer, getting below error message:

"Communication timeout while printing, trying to trigger response from printer. Configure long running commands or increase communication timeout if that happens regularly on specific commands or long moves."

I have an Ender 3V2 Stock with BLTouch and filament sensor connected to Octoprint. In attach my Octoprint Log.

Octoprint it's connected with a USB cable where I removed the 5V.

Firmware used: "Ender3-V2-BLTouch-20210122.bin" and same issue even with "Ender3-V2-BLTouch-20210119.bin"

NOTE: I found this thread where this guy seems had solved this issue within the firmware:

https://community.octoprint.org/t/communication-timeout-while-printing/8251/13

Please let me know if you need any additional info.

Kind regards,

Stefano

Topic Tags
7 Replies
7 Replies
Marlin Firmware Service
(@marlin-firmware-service)

Estimable Member

@bulgaro80 This isn't really a firmware issue - but more a problem with the timeout settings in OctoPrint. The 'problem' occurs when the printer is doing a long, slow print and doesnt reply with an 'ok' within the timeout parameter specified in OctoPrint.

OctoPrint errs on the side of caution and assumes the worst to alert the user. You can add such commands to the list of "long running commands" under Settings > Serial Connection > Advanced options - that will only increase the timeout though, not completely ignore it. You can also disable consecutive timeout detection during long running commands at the same location, that should also help.

If you increase the timeout to the longest line you'd reasonably print at the slowest speed, this should help with the problem.

bulgaro80
Registered
(@bulgaro80)

@marlin-firmware-service: As usual, you are right! ?  Tonight I'm going to try it! Many thanks!

bulgaro80
Registered
(@bulgaro80)

@marlin-firmware-service: Unfortunately I still have the same issue... Here my configuration in Octoprint. Do I need to change any other parameter?

bulgaro80
Registered
(@bulgaro80)

bulgaro80
Registered
(@bulgaro80)

@marlin-firmware-service: another view of my Timeout configuration

Marlin Firmware Service
(@marlin-firmware-service)

Estimable Member

@bulgaro80 Im getting to the edge of my knowledge with Octoprint. The firmware does support 'busy' prompts - so that would be the timeout....

I'd suggest bringing this up on the OctoPrint forums - as from everything I know, the firmware does respond as per the specification. There may well be a tweak or two they are able to suggest - but I don't off hand...

bulgaro80
Registered
(@bulgaro80)

@marlin-firmware-service: thanks anyway ?