Notifications
Clear all

builder and nightly not working

AnthonyEnder
Registered
Topic starter
(@anthonyender)
Heating Block

Firmware builder failed and I am waiting for someone to respond to that issue. In the meantime, I tried a stock Ender3-V2-BLTouch-20210103.bin, and even the daily build is not working as expected.

1. There is no z-offset tool.
2. Changing the z offset does not raise or lower the gantry at all while in the menu, the only way to see the change is to rehome and then repeat the process meaning it could take an hour to get your z-offset dialed in.
3. All axis are moving incredibly slow for homing and leveling (have not tried printing yet). 
4. So slow in fact that I get a hotend idle timeout without any notification (outside Octoprint) so just when I think I had the z offset done, I saw the heat was off and had to start over. I also have not seen a full probe of leveling completely before the hotend idle timeout trips.
5. What is the hotend idle timeout anyway? I don't see any way to edit the duration in the printer's menu, If you can set the duration with gcode, should someone need to own a way to send commands to the printer with what should be something that should be editable in the menus. Or at least a way to bypass to later use a plugin to control the feature.
6. Why is homing doing a double probe on Z but only 1 for leveling?

6 Replies
Marlin Firmware Service
(@marlin-firmware-service)
Stepper Motor

1) Correct - The main Marlin project does not have one as yet.

2) Correct. This changes the M851 setting - which is not a live operation as per: https://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M851.html

3) This is fixed in a later version. Grab todays and you should be fine.

4) See #3 🙂

5) The hotend idle timeout stops the printer keeping the hotend at printing temperatures without actually extruding anything over time. This stops the hotend from burning the filament. Any extruder movements will reset this timeout.

6) The homing does a FAST / SLOW move. You probably can't tell this as they're about the same for a while - but fixed on about 20210109 or later.

AnthonyEnder
Registered
Topic starter
(@anthonyender)
Heating Block

Not sure what you are saying because the attachment shows the tool is there, just not working. Is this not the Marlin Project" you are referring to?

I am trying to get the v2 BLTouch version with a smart filament sensor.

2 Replies
AnthonyEnder
Registered
(@anthonyender)

Heating Block

@marlin-firmware-service this never received a response

AnthonyEnder
Registered
(@anthonyender)

Heating Block

Guess I'll move it to its own thread

AnthonyEnder
Registered
Topic starter
(@anthonyender)
Heating Block

Also... using Ender3-V2-BLTouch-20210112.bin turns the printer into a brick when sending M420 S1 Z2 after updating without a stored mesh. There is a notification in Octoprint, but the heat stays on and the screen stops responding.

1 Reply
Marlin Firmware Service
(@marlin-firmware-service)

Stepper Motor

@anthonyender Correct. You can't activate a mesh for leveling if you don't have a mesh loaded.

That's considered a fatal error and the printer won't continue beyond this point.

The heaters however do turn off as per the crash handler.

You need to probe your mesh via G29, then save it via either M500, or using the control panel. If no grid has been probed, and there is no saved grid, M420 S1 will halt your printer. This is by design.

Scroll Up