Forum

Notifications
Clear all

BLTouch randomly stopped working.

kwilliams
(@kwilliams)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi everyone, I'm a bit new to the 3D printing scene but I decided to update my Ender 3 v2 with a 4.2.7 board and a BLTouch probe.

After a few hours faffing about with getting the right firmware installed and fixing the Z-Offset to be just right I decided to do my first real print.

Everything seemed find until I heard my print head crashing into the bed during auto home.

I cycled the power and noticed the BLTouch had stopped working: No lights, no movement, no self test, nothing.

It was working yesterday morning so I checked the wiring and it seemed fine, I am completely at a loss as to why it's just died during the 5 hours it was offline?

Like I said the unit is brand new and I only installed it Monday evening.

Anyone have any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@kwilliams Have you seen how the BLtouch worked before it died? The probe checked itself twice when powered on the printer? Before the head crashing into the bed did the probe work? Had it reached out? 

ReplyQuote
kwilliams
(@kwilliams)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin the BLTouch behaved as it should before it stopped working, both the self test mode and in auto-home and auto-level mode.

On the specific print run where it crashed into the head I didn't see if it working, but it didn't have any lights on when I turned off the printer to prevent further damage. As far as I could see the probe was not extended.

Previously the same day (and without a power cycle) it was working as expected.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@kwilliams Hello, it is a little strange. The touch acts normally when self-test and auto-home, but when starting a print, the probe did not extend out to leveling. 

Is there something wrong with the probe? You can try to touch it (Pull the probe out) when start print, sometimes it will get stuck.

ReplyQuote
kwilliams
(@kwilliams)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin no you misunderstand.

It originally was working as expected (including bed levelling and acting as the Z-axis end stop), but now it does nothing at all.

I've opened a support request with your Amazon suppliers (Comgrow) but they won't be available again until the middle of next week. 🙁

For the time being I will just reattach the standard Z-axis sensor and re-flash the standard Marlin firmware.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@kwilliams Do you mean it worked correctly with the BL-TOUCH at the beginning, but do not know why it stopped working and the nozzle crashing into the bed? I am a little confused, maybe a video may help me to understand.

Yes. There will be a four-day holiday for May Day.

ReplyQuote
kwilliams
(@kwilliams)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @kevin

Do you mean it worked correctly with the BL-TOUCH at the beginning, but do not know why it stopped working and the nozzle crashing into the bed?

This is an accurate assumption, I made a video already for the support department: 20210428_140533.mp4 - Google Drive

But it doesn't really show anything. ?‍♂️

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@kwilliams It looks like the mainboard did not work. I guess it has already burned out. If you have a multimeter, check whether the motherboard has an output voltage, If not, means the mainboard is broken. 

When the positive and negative connections are reversed for BLtouch Z-axis, it will happen. 

ReplyQuote